66th IWC – International Whaling Commission
Portoroz – Slovenia
24-28 October 2016
- October 27, 2016. Daly, California. The male blue whale with skull fractures runs aground at the foot of the cliffs. 65 ft in length.
© The Chronicle
- October 26, 2016. Sao Paulo, Brazil : attempt to save a spotted dolphin grounded on the beach.
- October 26, 2016. Alagoas, Brazil : one more Guiana dolphin stranded. A very rare coastal and estuarine species, Appendix I CITES.
- October 26, 2016. Santa Catarina : one beached humpback whale. 75 since the 1st of January along the Brazilian coast. 8-9 m, around 5 years
© julio cesar vicente
- October 22, 2016. Madagascar : stranded of a whale calf. Species unknown. Cut up by villagers to eat the meat. Remains burnt.
- October 22, 2016. Hawaï : one female and pregnant dwarf sperm whale (2.10 m long) found dead on a beach.
Kogia sima © Jules Kombi Kambale
- October 20, 2016. A dead fin whale stranded in UK has been buried in the sand. If dumped at sea, he would have enriched the sea for 100 years
© Penny Clarke
- October 20, Venezuela : « Los depredadores » catch Guiana dolphins in the Maracaibo Lake and sell the meat
© El Carabobeño
- October 18-19, 2016 : 2 babies sperm whales, 5.80 and 7 m long, stranded along Florida and Louisiana coast.
- October. 2016. Normandy, France : beaked whale stranded in front of le Mont Saint-Michel. Highly vulnerable to acoustic disturbances.
© La Manche Libre
- Mid-October 2016 : three sperm whales stranded along Kenya and Tanzania within 15 days.