– 272 collisions, shipwrecks and fatal fires
- Asia : 6610 fatalities
- Africa : 5014
- Oceania : 355
- America : 314
- Europe : 188
Minimal toll. In most cases, the passenger manifest has disappeared or does not match the reality.
– Main causes:
– Responsability of Europe, Japan, the USA: secondhand sales to developping countries and without caution of over-aged car ferries unfit to their new duty. On-going example : the Kreiz er Mor (p 4).
– Collective responsability:
- passengers’ unconsciousness of dangers.
- failure of local authorities to enforce basic safety rules to large companies or small shipowners
Download the report 2008-2018, maritime and waterway passenger transport: more than 12,000 dead ” (pdf, 52 pages, 6,1 Mo)